Ruby

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Mom sews Halloween costumes for the first time

I wasn't planning on sewing anything, but Theo was looking through the pbskids.org website and found a link with Super Why costumes. He says, "Mom, I want to be Super Why for Halloween." Super Why is a relatively new cartoon with a small following, so the costumes are hard to find. I have always thought that mass-produced costumes are really poor in construction. So even though I have minimal sewing skills (nothing I've EVER made for myself has ever been wearable except for a scrub top) I did think I could create something of comparable quality to the store-bought stuff.

I'm really proud of the result.

Here's Theo's costume and a description of the process:

They're really wrinkled in the picture because I took a picture the morning after trick or treating and the costume had spent the night half-crumpled. The material was a green flannel and a shiny blue polyester. I cut up one of Theo's old long sleeved shirts and used it as a pattern for the shirt. Dad made the book design using felt pieces and a piece of a white rag. It was glued together using that iron-on seam stuff. I also used a pair of Theo's pajama pants to construct the pants, although they were so easy to trace that I didn't have to cut them up. The blue "underwear" was one of the last things I put together, and by that point I didn't even care what the seams looked like, especially since it was the piece that was the least likely to ever be worn again. The cape is not shown, but it attaches with velcro to the shirt.

Here's Ruby's costume:


Ruby's costume came together a lot more easily, in large part because I learned a couple of techniques making Theo's. I used a light green stretchy chenille and a pink stretchy furry fabric that I found in the furniture decorating section. The green ball ribbon was also in the furniture decorating place. They were actually the most expensive part of the costume and nearly doubled the cost! I used Ruby's clothes to trace the dress and pants, which again were so simple I didn't have to cut anything up. The wings were completely Ted's doing. He used wire hangers, mailing tape (we couldn't find the duct tape), white knee highs purchased at wal-mart for 79 cents per pair, and glitter glue (the color on the package said "ruby" so that was an easy decision.) For her antennae I covered one of my old headbands with the green fabric and tied on pipe cleaners.

Here are the kids wearing their costumes and holding their matching trick-or-treat bags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home